UNC Charlotte places a strong emphasis on community engagement, including employee volunteerism. It is part of our mission to address the cultural, economic, educational, environmental, health, and social needs of our community.
The University and the state of North Carolina support employees who are interested in volunteering during the workday through the Community Service Leave benefit; all full-time faculty and staff members have 24 hours during a calendar year for volunteer service.
Collectively, UNC Charlotte employees have approximately 54,000 volunteer hours to use every year with Community Service Leave; however, less than 10 percent of those hours were recorded last year. I encourage everyone to use these hours this year. If we do, consider the exponential impact of our collective efforts to help various organizations fulfill their service missions.
There are several upcoming opportunities to use Community Service Leave.
- The Office of Community Relations is organizing a day of service from 9 AM to 4:30 PM, Wednesday, April 19. Volunteers will complete two on-campus projects to aid the Urban Ministry and the Crisis Assistance Ministry. More information and registration is available here.
- Consider donating the gift of life during the Earth Day Blood Drive, being held 10 AM to 2 PM, April 19, at the Career Center (Atkins, Room 146). Pre-register and make an appointment through this link.
- During National Volunteer Week (April 24-28), Community Relations has arranged service opportunities at Nathaniel Alexander Elementary, Habitat for Humanity, and the Second Harvest Food Bank. Click here to register or for more information.
Additionally, I have authorized 90 minutes of release time for every employee to participate in one or both of the activities below in honor of Earth Month. Please note that you are able to use this release time instead of Community Service Leave for these two activities only.
- An on-campus tree planting will take place from 11 AM to noon, Wednesday, April 5.
- The spring semester’s Campus Cleanup will be from 10 AM to 2 PM, Wednesday, April 12. This is an opportunity to make a personal statement about the pride all of us take in having a beautiful and well-maintained campus.
- Pre-register to participate via email to Shannon Caveny-Cox (firstname.lastname@example.org) or volunteer on the day of the events (with supervisor approval).
Volunteering together strengthens the 49er community and fosters teamwork. Plus, it’s good for your health – research shows individuals who volunteer report being happier.
Even if you cannot participate in one of these events, we want our employees to use community service leave whenever possible, based upon unit needs and prior approval from supervisors. Just like other leave, you will account for the use of these hours in Kronos. More information on what activities qualify for Community Service leave is available on the HR website.
I hope to see many of you volunteering on campus and in the community.
Philip L. Dubois